Wednesday 11 May 2011

Evaluation: How effective is the combination of you main product and ancillary texts?

Music Video

We used an unsigned band and one of their own songs for our music video, the reason for this was because it was a lot easier to contact them and they were okay with us using one of their songs. We thought that this way would be a lot more easier than trying to contact as signed artist as they may not want us to use one of their songs.
The story behind our music video is quite simple to grasp as the narrative part of the music video links with the lyrics of the song. The video is about a guy who's out enjoy himself with the lads when he sees the girl behind the bar and he tries to impress her. We know the boys quite well and we wanted the music video to reflect their personalities, therefore we tried to have some comical elements within it which I think worked really well in the video.


Digipack

The ancillary products we decided to do where the digipack and the poster. For the inside of the digipack I decided to use some shots of each individual band memeber from the music video. The reason for doing this was so that potential buyers would be able to see these images and relate them to the music video. However, I thought that if I inverted the colours to make them negative it would make the inside of the digipack more visually interesting, and it is also not something that I have seen before and I wanted these ancillary tasks to be different and individual instead of copying what is already out there on the market now. For the front and back covers I've used two staged photographs that I took of the band. I think that the colour works well and isn't too bold, bright or dark.


Poster

My first draft for the poster was quite boring as it was only a white background with colour photographs of the band. I tried to edit the colouring of the pictures but it began to look very similar to a poster that I had seen for The Arctic Monkeys so instead I inverted the colours to make them negative, like what I did with the inside of the album cover. I like my poster and I think that the colouring all works well together, but I still think that there is something missing and its still a little bit bland and boring with a plain black background.


No comments:

Post a Comment